Antique and Vintage Jewellery
Famous Master Craftsman Designers
All Items Sold are Authentic and Original not reproductions
ADELE SIMPSON: - 1944-1950s
Adele Smithline was born in 1903 and married Wesley William Simpson in 1930. Through 1930, she had worked as a designer for Gershel's, William Bass firm, and Mary Lee Fashions. This last company allowed her to put her label on her accessory designs of jewelry, perfume and lingerie. The Adele Simpson Company, a clothing and accessories company, was found in 1944. It produced unusual designs, chains, medallions, necklaces, broaches and earrings in sterling silver and gold plated metal using clear and color pave rhinestones, faceted crystals and faux pearls. Mark: Adele Simpson in script. The jewelry line was limited in production and ceased operations in the 1950s. Jewelry pieces are rarely found today. Visit Adele Simpson Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE
ALFRED PHILIPPE one of the top designers for Trifari - See Also Trifari below
There is so much history to Trifari Jewellery. Trifari Jewellery was first known as Trifari and Trifari founded by Gustavo Trifari and his uncle in 1910. The company name changed to just Trifari after Gustavos uncle left. In 1917 Leo Krussman joined and then Carl Fishel in 1925. They renamed the Company Trifari, Krussman and Fishel which is where the hallmark KTF derived. Early 1930 Alfred Philippe joined as head designer, he is considered a top craftsman who worked in fine jewellery for Cartier and Van Cleef and Arples. His designs became very popular especially the well known designs known as fruit salad jewellery. The company was run 1910 to 1975 by the originating founders and sons of those founders. In 1975 Trifari was purchased by several other companies, there is so much rich history to Trifari that it is far too much information to put here, we will eventually dedicate a full page to give a lot more history. Early Trifari Jewellery is very collectable and some pieces are now very rare to find. Visit Alfred Philippe Design Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE More Information on Trifari Jewellery...PRESS HERE
Korda designs were based on the movie 113 Thief of Bagdad. The movie was released in 1940 and it has been remembered as the greatest fantasy film ever made. The movie received Academy Awards for Art Direction, Color Cinematography and Special Effects. The producer Alexander Korda biggest achievement in my opinion. The movie is about Arabian Nights adventures and appeals to this date to all ages. Six famous directors worked on the film which encountered many obstacles. The final result of this movie more that exceeded all expectation and it has become an instant classic to this day. Korda the director of the film distributed limited pieces to promote the film. All the pieces were limited reproduction of actual pieces used in the film. Visit Alexandra Korda Design Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE
AVON OF BELLEVILLE: - 1945 - 1971
Rare to find Avon of Belleville, not to be confused with Avon Cosmetics Corp., was formed by Abe Mazer (Mazer/Jomaz) in 1945, producing fine quality jewelry out of their plant in Belleville Ontario. Much of Avon of Belleville jewelry is designed by Marcel Boucher, and although bearing the Avon of Belleville mark, also is imprinted with Boucher's signature 4-digit design numbers. Avon of Belleville ceased to exist in 1971 which coincides with the time that Avon cosmetics began producing costume jewelry. RECOGNIZING AVON OF BELLEVILLE JEWELRY The first sign is the superior quality of the jewels. Avon of Belleville jewelry has heft and uses the finest quality rhinestones. There are also the magnificent designs of Marcel Boucher that instantly sets this jewelry apart from the other quality Avon Cosmetics jewels. The jewelry was marked "Avon" in script and also in upper case block letters, along with Marcel Bouchers 4 digit design inventory numbers Visit Avon of Belleville Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE
BEAU OR BEAUCRAFT: 1947 - September 2004
Beaucraft Inc. began operations and produced "Beau" and "Beaucraft" jewellery in Providence, RI from 1947. The company was one of the leading producers of beautiful and unique fine sterling silver jewellery ever made for over half a century. The jewellery designs had originality, versatility, and impeccable craftsmanship. Vintage Beaucraft jewellery pieces are now considered highly collectible and in the same class of jewellery as Coro. Their latest designs took on a new approach by contrasting brushed and high polished sterling silver finishes, creating a completely original look that combines classic style with modern fashion. The jewellery designs include fish and seahorses in sterling silver metal. Mark: "Beaucraft" (In Sterling(, "Beau B Sterling", "B" with "Ster" or "Sterling", and "Beau Sterling" . Beaucraft also made 14k jewellery.
In September 2004, after 57 years in the business, Beaucraft Inc. retired from the jewellery business and the entire inventory was put on the auction block with Amsco Ltd. purchasing the bulk of its inventory that is being offered to the public at "well-below-discount prices", "OVER THREE QUARTERS OF A MILLION DOLLARS WORTH OF FINE BEAUCRAFT STERLING SILVER JEWELRY". Check the internet: AmscoOnline.com, the Amsco on-line retail store for NEW discount jewellery of Beaucraft. Amsco Ltd., for more than twenty years, has been supplying quality jewellery to the wholesale jewellery and catalogue industry and are now able to offer this merchandise, as well as other discount merchandise, direct to the public at a fraction of the cost found elsewhere. Other jewellery for sale includes: Charter Club, One of a Kind and Salesmans Samples used to display merchandise to the buyers at Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdales, and Saks Fifth Ave., Religious, Nature, Awareness, Semi-Precious, Hearts, Angels, Holiday, and Patriotic. Visit Beau or Beaucraft Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE
BERGERE: 1947 - 1979
Jewellery by Bergere was produced by L. Erbert & Pohls Inc. New York in 1947. We Have come across some really high quality pieces of jewellery from Bergere. They mainly concentrated on producing necklaces, bracelets, brooches and earrings. The materials they used within their jewellery was faux pearls, coloured stones, beads, crystals and rhinestones on gold plated, rhodium and brass metails. They produced various collections dating from 1947 until the company ceased trading in 1979. The Bergere signature mark is bergere with a dash above the 2nd e of the name and Bergere in script. Visit Bergere Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE
From Marcia Brown's book, "Signed Beauties of Costume Jewellery": Frenchman, Marcel Boucher, came to the United States as a young man in 1925. He became a jewellery designer for Cartier, one of the finest jewellery companies in New York City. He designed jewellery for Mazer Brothers in the early 1930's and established his own company, "Marcel Boucher and Cie Company," in 1937. Boucher jewellery is usually signed and carries an inventory number. Early marks are "Marboux" or "MB" in a cartouche. Later marks are "Marcel Boucher" and "Boucher." Marcel Boucher died in 1965 and his wife, Sandra Boucher, ran the company until 1972. Boucher created a line featuring six bird pins. But, oh what birds! They were birds of imagination with ornate coloured stones, bright enamels, very three-dimensional..."ready to soar!" Boucher jewellery is "high-end" and can be tough to tell from the "real thing." It is very collectible and highly desirable. Visit Marcel Boucher Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE
According to An Illustrated Dictionary of Jewellery by Newman, a Blackamoor is a figure of a young male or female black African depicted in jewelry in a head or bust. Morcic Croatian jewelry and figures have been a speciality of the artisans of Venice and Croatia for hundreds of years. Inspired by styles of the East, this type of jewellery was believed to have protective powers and was sometimes worn as an amulet to guard against evil. Sailors often wore a Morcic earring in their left ear. In the 19th century it became the expensive and sought-after jewellery to the rich. Still produced today in Venice by the iconic Nardi firm and conjuring up images of Carnivale and the exotic mysterious East. Visit Blackamoor Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE
CARTIER, the very name denotes qualtiy and opulence. Founded in 1847 in Paris, the firm became one of the world's greatest designers and manufacturers of jewely and objets d'art, and a supplier to royalty, nobility, and the wealthy. Once memorably hailed as the Jeweler of Kings, and the King of Jewelers by King Edward VII Cartier remains today, one of the worlds' best known luxury brands and a byword for quality & style,
Until the end of the 19th century, Cartier was primarily a retailer of jewelry and objects produced by outside manufacturers. When Cartier's son Alfred took over in 1874, the firm gradually began repairing and improving jewelry, and then designing and manufacturing their own original pieces in the late 1800s. In 1899, the move to 13 Rue de la Paix situated the business in the heart of the important jewelry and couturier quarter of Paris.
Encouraged by King Edward VII, Cartier opened a branch in London in 1902 managed by Alfred's son Jacques. A royal commission was granted in 1904, followed quickly by commissions from Spain, Portugal, Russia, Siam, and Greece. These royal commissions helped to solidify Cartier's reputation among the wealthy and famous the world over.
To better deal with American millionaires, who from the beginning formed a large part of Cartier's clientele, a New York branch was opened in 1909 by Alfred's other son, Pierre. Until World War I, Cartier maintained close relations with clients in Russia, and the princes and maharajas of India sought Cartier to design and mount their jewels. Jewelry and accessories were also made as stock items for the stores or were commissioned by individuals.
Until the 1960s, the Paris, London, and New York branches were part of a single firm but operated independently, collaborating whenever necessary. In 1962, the New York branch was sold, followed by the Paris branch in 1965, thus ending the unity. The firm was reunited and reorganized in 1979 as Cartier Monde, and today shops and boutiques can be found in cities around the world.
CADORO or HOLLYWOOD STARS - 1945-1980s
CADORO - FAMOUS JEWELLERY TO THE RICH AND FAMOUS Cadoro is very high quality jewellery and was founded by Actor Steve Brody and Dan Staneskieu in 1945. At the time their jewellery was very fashionable and custom designed. Each piece was hand crafted using the materials brush gold tone and silver tone metals with some pieces consisting of rhinestones, glass crystals, seed pearls, coloured stones, apparently they chose only the highest quality resources. Their signature mark is CADORO and CADORO with a copyright symbol. The company suffered the loss of Dan Staneskieu who died in the 1960s and the company ceased trading in 1970. Their jewellery is now very collectable and rare to find. Visit Cadoro Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE
CHANEL - GABRIELLE "COCO" CHANEL - also read REINAD JEWELLERY AND ROBERT GOOSSEN
One of the most visible personalities of her era, Gabrielle Chanel invented a style that was synonymous with modernity and chic. What is perhaps less well known is that the grande dame of twentieth-century fashion used platinum and diamonds to create an exceptional collection of the finest jewelry. This daring experiment is currently a new source of inspiration for Chanel, which through its fine jewellery department in the Place Vendome in Paris, is once again demonstrating the art of creating and wearing exceptional jewellery. The adventure is both classic and contemporary and perpetuates one of the greatest names of the century. If you are interested in finding out what is currently available on the Market from reputable Dealers for Authentic, Original Vintage Designs by Designers for Gabrielle Coco Chanel please contact Lorraine Email:- Contact Lorraine Please Visit to see if we have any items for Sale and also to view an article on GABRIELLE "COCO" CHANEL ....PRESS HERE
CLAUDETTE: 1945 - Mid-1950s
Claudette Colbert 1941 Claudette Jewellery was produced by Premier Jewellery Co. Inc. NY in 1945, they ceased trading Circ 1950s. Claudette jewellery was mainly coloured Lucite Coloured Stones. The signature mark is Claudette and C Claudette with a copyright symbol. Visit Claudette Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE
CORO, COROCRAFT, FRANCOIS, VENDOME: 1900s - Present
Designers Emanuel Cohn and Gerard Rosenberg started their own shop in New York founded earyly 1900s selling costume jewellery and accessories, they later became known as Coro as you can see the name Coro incorporates the first two letters of their surname Cohan and Rosenberg. They became very successful and very well known for their high quality, designs and volume of jewellery at affordable prices. Coro made jewellery from 1920 until the 1970s, they apparently produced jewellery under different company names for example Vendome, Corocraft and Duette. The signature marks are some signed Corocraft, some signed Francois this mark was used for the higher end of the market and attracted the wealthier clients. The signature mark Vendome the jewellery line which started in 1944 was also attracting the higher end of the market, best know for dynamic glass beads and they used cabochon and rhinestones. Corocraft often used sterling vermeil, rhinestones and enamel and produced some stunning designs. The mark Coro Craft since 1937 was used for higher end pieces, Corocraft was used after WWII, and the Pegasus mark was used after WWII these are few from a long Coro markings. Coro ceased trading circ 1979. Coro Inc. in Canada is still in operation today. Visit Corocraft Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE
CHRISTIAN DIOR 1905 - 1957
Many notable jewellery designers and manufacturers were commissioned to produce jewellery for the House of Dior including Mitchell Maer, Kramer, Henkel & Grosse, Josette Gripoix, and Robert Goossens. Chanel has hand poured 'pate de verre' jewels created for her by the craftspeople of Gripoix, Rousselet and Goossens Christian Dior jewelry usually incorporates elegant style and superb quality of manufacture. The designers used the highest quality crystal stones prong set into hand soldered settings.
Christian Dior 1905-1957 was an influential French fashion designer. In the 1950s, Dior jewellery was produced by Kramer in the 1950s, Henkel & Grosse from 1955 and Mitchel Maer from 1952-1956. In 1955, Swarovski and Christian Dior developed the iridescent aurora borealis stone Licensed Dior jewelry continues to be produced. Visit Christian Dior Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE
ESHER RANDEL - c1940s
Randel worked in Germany creating jewellery master pieces, pre-WW11 German Deco Style. It is rare to find jewellery made by Randel, his designs reflect the Art Deco period and he used the highest quality MOP and Rhinestone. You will see Randel parures priced from $175 - 300 range. Very rare to find his designs today. Signature mark shows a Half circle with ESHA inside, name RANDEL in Caps next to it you can also find WEST GERMANY is marked on some pieces along with the signature.
EMMONS - 1948 - 1981
Emmons was founded by Charles H Stuart in Newark NJ in 1948 the Company name Emmons was given after his wife Caroline Emmons. They started marketing jewellery that was not designed or manufactured at the company outsourced to other companies. The jewellery is very beautiful and was constructed using faux pearls, beads, rhinestones on silver metals. Emmons jewellery was sold at home jewellery parties. The signature mark is EMMONS or EMMONS with a copyright symbol and also EMMOLITE. The company ceased trading in 1981. Their jewellery is very collectable and can be difficult to find. Visit Emmons Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE
Son of a fundidor, Robert Goossens, who was born in the neighborhood of artisans, the Marais, began in different offices: casting, jewelry, gold, engraving, estampa ... As each jewel called his technique, he explained dominate all or reencontra them when they were lost. In 1960, encounter with Gabrielle Chanel revolutionized its existence. "Mademoiselle" afeicoou to that simple man whose hands of gold would give life, for twenty years, their fantasies more mad. collection after collection, Robert Goossens became "the silversmiths of Chanel." An exchange has been established: it showed its projects, Mademoiselle guiava their inspiration. Presilha hair trancada with threads of gold and silver, engastada with an emerald; pendants of scholarship with a cause for "lion-sun" and "earth-moon Crosses "bizantinas" in crystal ... Thousands of women used, without knowing, their creations......
To read more........Robert Goosen full article and we may have some items for sale......Click here
HOBE - 1930s - Present
Hobe Cie is a costume jewellery company that was founded by William Hobe in New York in the 1930s. William Hobe had immigrated to the US from France, where his family had made fine jewellery for generations. Hobe jewellery was used in showgirl costumes in the Ziegfeld Follies. Hobe jewellery was also used in many Hollywood movies. Hobe produces very high quality and very high priced jewellery for upscale stores. The materials used for the costume jewellery are often semi precious stones and their jewellery is highly collectable. The Hobe Company is still producing costume jewellery today. Visit Hobe Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE
JOAN RIVERS: 1990 to Present
Joan Rivers has been a comedienne, best seller author, actress, playwright, screenwriter, film director, talk show host, fashion critic, business women and jewellery designer as of 1990. She was born Joan Molinsky in June 1933 in New York. In 1990, Joan embarked on a new adventure, launching her new jewellery designs on QVC. Her dream was to create a line of affordable, classic pieces of costume jewellery for today's woman, to design and produce timeless jewellery that doesn't go out of style to includes necklaces, bracelets, brooches/pins, rings and earrings. The costume jewellery Joan River's designs with David Dangle, her designer partner, contains gold tone and silver tone base metals with simulated pearls, emeralds, sapphire and other stones, coloured beads, clear and pastel rhinestones, and light and dark crystals embedded in the base metals.
Joan's jewellery line is a perfect expression of her natural creativity, confidence and flare. Marked: "Joan Rivers" and "Joan Rivers Classic Collection". QVC has also, through the years, been selling her Joan Rivers Beauty collection of Forever Fragrance line, skin care line, beauty body treatment line, and make-up line of cosmetics. Joan Rivers, this year, will introduce The Scoundrel Collection of Jewellery of which Broadway Baubles featured in the Hit Show, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, a musical where cast members are outfitted with QVC costume jewellery of her designs along with Kenneth J. Lane and Nolan Miller. The jewellery will combine the glamour of old Hollywood with a retro twist on current trends. Joan continues to design costume jewellery from her personal jewellery collection along with her newly creative designs and has these jewellery pieces produced at an accessible price since 1990. It has been said the Joan Rivers, trademark, mix of wit, knowledge and compassion has made her a fashion style icon and a QVC treasure.
Visit Joan Rivers to see if we have any items for Sale PRESS HERE
KENNETH J LANE: - 1950s - Present
He was born in Detroit, and, after an unexceptional middle-class childhood which he has rarely discussed, was educated at the University of Michigan and then at Rhode Island School of Design. But his life as we know it began in 1954, when he arrived in New York as a self-invented bright young thing, oozing with apparent glamour and sophistication. This was the era of El Morocco and Harry Winston diamonds, when American fashion designers were first emerging on to the international stage.
For a more indepth profile on Kenneth J Lane please visit Article on Kenneth J Lane Visit Kenneth Jay Lane Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE
LANVIN: - 1950s - Present
Jeanne Lanvin (b. Jeanne-Marie Lanvin, Paris, January 1, 1867-d. Paris, July 6, 1946), French fashion designer
Lanvin became known for her mother-and-daughter outfits and exquisite robes de style, as well as her modern and global approach to the fashion industry.
Lanvin was the eldest of 11 children. At age 16, she was an apprentice milliner at Madame Felix in Paris; then trained at dressmaker Talbot and, 1889, set up as a milliner at 22 rue du Faubourg Saint-Honore.
Jeanne Lanvin married the Henri-Emile-Georges di Pietro and gave birth to a daughter, Marguerite, who became a talented opera singer and eventually became the director of the Lanvin fashion house. 1925, Marguerite married the Comte Jean de Polignac Paris, June 11, 1888 Paris, October 22, 1943 who rebaptised her to become the Comtess Marie-Blanche de Polignac Paris, August 31, 1897 Paris, February 14, 1958. Jeanne Lanvin made such beautiful clothes for the child that they began to attract the attention of a number of wealthy people who requested copies for their own daughters. Soon, Lanvin was making dresses for their mothers, and some of the most famous names in Europe were included in the clientele of her new boutique on the rue du Faubourg Saint-Honore, Paris. 1909, Lavin joined the Syndicat de la Couture, which marked her formal status as a couturiere.
1903, she divorced Pietro and, 1907, married Xavier Melet, a journalist at the Temps newspaper and later the French consul in Manchester.
From 1923, the Lanvin empire included a dye factory in Nanterre. 1920s, Lavin opened shops devoted to home decor, menswear, furs and lingerie, but her most significant expansion was the creation of Lanvin Parfums SA in 1924 and the introduction of her signature fragrance Arpege in 1927, inspired by the sound of her daughter's practising her scales on the piano.
Lanvin commissioned (Albert-Armand Rateau 1884-1938) to decorate her apartment at 16 rue Barbet-de-Jouy, Paris, and villas at Vesinet. The living, boudoir and bathroom of the apartment was reassembled in 1985 in the Musee des Arts Decoratifs, Paris. For this domicile, Rateau designed some remarkable 1920-22 furniture in vert-de-gris bronze. 1921-22, Rateau was manager of Lanvin-Sport and also design the Lanvin spherical La Boule perfume flacon for Arpege of about 1925-34 (still produced, originally by the Manufacture Nationale de Sevres) is imprinted with Paul Iribes gold image of 1907 of Lanvin and her daughter Marguerite. Rateau also designed Lanvins fashion house and managed the Lanvin-Decoration department of interior design (established 1920) in the main store on the rue du Faubourg Saint-Honore. (Mel Byars, 2004, p. 614.)
One of the most influential designers of the 1920s and 30s, Jeanne Lanvin's skilful use of intricate trimmings, virtuoso embroideries and beaded decorations in clear, light, floral colors became a Lanvin trademark.
When Lanvin died in 1946, ownership of the firm was ceded to daughter Marie-Blanche, who shared management of the firm from 1942 with a cousin and then a fashion-industry expert. Because she was childless when she died in 1958, the ownership of the House of Lanvin went to a cousin, Yves Lanvin. (See Directors and Officiers Since Jeanne Lanvin below.)
The company has shuttled from here and there, beginning in March 1989 when Britain's Midland Bank bought a stake in the company from the family. The bank brought in Leon Bressler to revamp the firm's faded image. However, February 1990, Midland backed out and sold Lanvin to Orcofi, the French holding company led by the Vuitton family. From Orcofi, 50% of the House of Lanvin was acquired by L'Oreal in 1994, 66% in 1995 and 100% in 1996. Under L'Oreal's far-too-diverse umbrella, an array of CEOs who circulate within the French fashion industry directed the company.
August 2001, Lanvin, the oldest fashion house still in operation, was taken private again by investor group Harmonie S.A., headed by Mrs. Shaw-Lan Wang, a Taiwanese media magnate. And, October 2001, Alber Elbaz was appointed the Lanvin artistic director for all activities, including interiors, and he has conducted his responsibilities in a highly personal, hands-on manner. 2006, he introduced new packaging for the fashion house, featuring a forget-me-not flower color, Lanvin's favorite shade which she purportedly saw in a Fra Angelico fresco. (Suzy Menkes, 2005.)
1 Directors and Officers Since Jeanne Lanvin
2 Designers Since Jeanne Lanvin
Directors and Officers Since Jeanne Lanvin
1946-1950, Lanvin's daughter Marie Blanche de Polignac, owner and director
1942-50, Marie Blanche's cousin Jean Gaumont Lanvin (Colombes, 1908-Versailles, 1988), director general
1950-1955, Daniel Gorin (Paris, 1891-Paris, 1972), director general
1959 Marie-Blanche's cousin Yves Lanvin, owner Madame Yves Lanvin, president.
1989-1990, Leon Bressler, chairperson
1990-1993, Michel Pietrini, chairperson
1993-1995, Loic Armand, chairperson
1995-2001, Gerald Asaria, chairperson
2001-2004, Jacques Levy, director general
Designers Since Jeanne Lanvin
1946-1958, Marie-Blanche de Polignac, director general and designer
1950-1963, Castillo (b. Antonio Canovas del Castillo del Rey, 1908 -d. 1984), womens collections
1960-1980, Bernard Devaux, hats, scarves, haute couture women's "Diffusions" line 1963-1980,
1964-1984, Jules-Francois Crahay (Liege, 1917-1988), haute couture collections and Boutique de Luxe
1972, Christian Benais, men's ready-to-wear collection
1976-1991, Patrick Lavoix, men's ready-to-wear collections
1981-1989, Maryll Lanvin, ready-to-wear, first haute couture in 1985 and women's Boutique collections
1989-1990, Robert Nelissen, women's ready-to-wear collections
1990-1992, Claude Montana, five haute-couture collections
1990-1992, Eric Bergere, women's ready-to-wear collections
1992-2001, Dominique Morlotti, women's and men's ready-to-wear collections
1996-1998, Ocimar Versolato, women's ready-to-wear collections
1998-2002, Cristina Ortiz, women's ready-to-wear collections
From 2002, Alber Elbaz, artistic director of all creative activities
From 2003, Martin Krutzki, designer of men's ready-to-wear
2005-present, Lucas Ossendrijver, Designer of men's pret-a-porter
Chevalier de l'Order de la Legion d'Honneur, to Jeanne Lanvin, 1926
Officier de l'Order de la Legion d'Honneur, to Jean Lanvin, 1938
Five Des d'Or awards (three to Francois Crahay, 1977, 1981 and 1984 two to Claude Montana, 1990 and 1992)
Moroccan born Alber Elbaz is the current designer for Lanvin he has worked for Geoffrey Beene, Guy Laroche and Yves Saint-Laurent before joining Lanvin in 2001
LISNER: 1900s - Late 1985
Lisner and Company were founded in NY in the early 1900s. The produced high quality costume jewellery using materials which were superior aurora borealis stones and rhinestones at affordable prices from low to mid range prices. The Richelieu jewellery had the more expensive aurora borealis and contained Lucite cabochons and Austrian crystals. Their signature mark is LISNER in block script and was first used in 1935, the mark Lisner in small script was in 1938 and the Lisner in small script with the Capital L in a circle was used after 1959. The materials used in each design containted coloured rhinestones including aurora borealis, molded plastic and Lucite stones. The company changed its name in 1978 to Lisner-Richelieu Corporation and ceased trading in late 1985. Their jewellery is very collectable and highly sought after. Visit Lisner Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE
MONET: 1928 - Present Now Owned by Liz Claiborne Since 2000
The Monocraft Products Company was founded in Providence, RI in 1928 by two brothers, Michael and Jay Chernow. The company first produced gold plated monograms on handbags. The business expanded and around 1937 began manufacturing jewellery under the name of Monet. Monet jewellery is of the Art Modern design. In the 1940s, the company started using sterling silver and silver plating along with the gold plated previously used as base metal. The jewellery produced is very durable with lasting quality. Monet was also responsible for several technological advancements in jewellery, the friction ear clip and the barrel clutch for pierced earrings. The Monocraft Products Company, that produced Monet jewellery, was acquired by General Mills in 1968, purchased by Crystal Brands Jewellery Group in 1989 to 1994, acquired in 1994 to 2000 by Chase Capital Partners, Lattice Holding, and in 2000 was purchased by Liz Claiborne Inc. with production of the jewellery moved out of the U.S. Mark "MONET", "MONET with copyright symbol" after 1955. Monet jewellery has been in production for more than 75 years and has successfully adapted to the constant changing images and designs of our changing times. The Monet jewellery made today still maintains its high quality and quantity of production. It is still able to change styles and designs capable of meeting the competitive market of today in costume jewellery. Visit Monet Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE
MIRIAM HASKELL: 1926 - Present
Miriam Haskell, a jewelry designer, opened her own store in New York City in 1926. She produced costume jewelry of elegant artistic ability, ornate and beautiful designs using faux pearls, rhinestones, turquoise, shells, Bakelite and coral that were hand wired in brass and copper to create unique designs of flowers, animals and other organic materials. Miriam Haskell jewelry has been know through the years for its high quality workmanship, designs, and materials. The jewelry pieces were handmade and handset using goldtone metal, an antique Russian gold metal finish developed by Haskell and Frank Hess. Miriam purchased her beads from France and Italy with her crystals imported from Bohemia. During WWII, Haskell used alternative materials including plastics for patriotic designs. After the war, the designs became more vibrant, colorful and feminine looking, more elaborate, larger pieces and multi bead strands with pearls imported from Japan. Frank Hess worked for Robert early 1940s, Haskell designing jewelry although, Haskell in her lifetime, supervised the production of all the jewelry pieces. The 1950s brought Haskell jewelry with incredibility elaborate designs using stones, pearls and beads and filigree in new and exciting ways. The business was purchased in 1954 by Morris Kinsler. In 1984, Sanford Moss became owner but the business was sold again in 1990 to Frank Fialkoff, who is still producing today, the Miriam Haskell jewelry of traditionally the same quality and originality that bears the Miriam Haskell name. No jewelry was marked between 1926 and 1947. The company used many marks to identify their jewelry. Mark: "Miriam Haskell" in metal on the clasp, the hook, in a crescent shaped cartouche or oval stamp. Visit Miriam Haskell Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE
LANA TURNER: - One of the great Hollywood actresses I feel very privileged to have contact with Cheryl Crane who is the daughter to the famous hollywood actress Lana Turner. Cheryl is currently selling Lana Turner's jewellery and other memorabilia from her estate.
Napier Jewellery was first founded in 1875 as Whitney and Rice and then with in 10 years became the E.A. Bliss Co.. Then after World War 1 it became Napier Bliss Co. and in 1922 it became The Napier Co. The mark Napier in block has been used since 1922 till its sale in late 1980s and merchandise was marked Napier in script, the company was purchased by "Victoria & Co". The Napier company was closed by Victoria & Co on 10-15-99. Nothing but excessive stock was last being sold by those dealers that were lucky enough to have it. Visit Napier Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE
PENNINO: 1926 - 1961
The designer Frank Pennino founded his company Pennino Jewellery Company NYC in 1926. A master craftsman who used excellent quality Austrian rhinestones, crystals and had the look of genuine gemstones, they were mounted in 14kt gold plate or sterling silver. Some Pennino Jewellery it is believed did not have the signature mark Pennino in script. The signature mark is Pennino in script and also some pieces had Pennino with Pat Pen. The workmanship in each piece of jewellery is exquisite he designed some pieces which were intricately done having bows, tassles and swirls. Pennino ranks as one of the very best costume jewellery company. The company ceased trading in 1961. Their jewellery is extremely collectable and rare to find. Visit Pennino Jewelry to see if we have any items for Sale PRESS HERE
PELL: 1941 - Present
The Pell Jewellery Company was found 1941 by 4 brothers, Joseph, Anthony, Alfred, and William Gaita in 1941. The company is located in Long Island, NY and produces a wide variety of jewellery using silver metal plating. The designs encompass paved rhinestones, simulated crystals and pearls on earrings, bracelets, necklaces, broaches, head pieces (tiaras), and Christmas trees. Pell has designed jewellery for Disney Productions and Miss America Beauty contests, and Coro. Mark: "Pell". The Pell jewellery has been sold on the QVC network. Alfred Gaita Jr. continues the business and produces only the best quality jewellery that has been designed and manufactured through the years the company has been in business. Visit Pell Jewelry to see if we have any items for Sale PRESS HERE
POLCINI 1911-1980 Also known as Ledo Jewellery
The designer Ralph Polcini was a goldsmith who emigrated to the US from Italy and founded the Polcini Company in 1911. The name was changed to Leading Jewellery Manufacturing Company in 1949, short for Ledo. The company produced the highest quality and workmanship usually Art Deco designs using the highest quality rhinestones and gold plate which has the look of genuine jewellery. The materials they used were high quality prong set, rhodium plated using clear rhinestone, simulated coloured stones of pearl, opal, sapphire and rubies with some set in gold-tone metal and gold plated metal. After Ralph Polcini died the company was left to his son Damon who changed the company name to Polcini in the 1960s. Their signature mark is By Ledo in script, Ledo RIST-LETTE with Ledo in script, and Polcini with a copyright symbol. The company ceased operations in 1980. Their jewellery is highly collectable and rare to find. Visit Polcini Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE
PIERRE CARDIN: 1950
Pierre Cardin was born in 1922 in Italy to French parents. He moved to Paris in 1945 and worked for Schiapparelli before becoming head of Christian Dior's tailleure atelier in 1947. He founded his own fashion house in 1950 and began with haute couture in 1953. He is well known for his high quality metal body jewellery. Visit Pierre Cardin Jewelry to see if we have any items for Sale.....PRESS HERE
PRADA: 1913 TO PRESENT
Fashion Designer Prada was founded in 1913 in Milan, Italy as a manufacturer of leather bags. What is known today as Prada is mostly the work of the founder's grand-daughter Miuccia Prada (our picture).
Miuccia Prada was born in 1949. After university, she entered the family business 1978 and soon revolutionized the appearence of its products. Her interest in unusual fabrics led to the distinctive trademark of Prada products: the surprising combination of materials. There are usually two discoveries to be made when dealing with Prada products: First, the surprise to see the use of a specific material in an unusual context and in consequence, the astonishment how good it fits the purpose. In 1989, she introduced women's wear with instant success, men's wear followed equally sucessful in 1995.
Prada is said to be the most prominent example of a new form of inward(directed luxury. While in the eighties luxury was explicitly displayed, today an understated luxury is sought, only recognizable by insiders. Thus, Prada clothes avoid very loud clouring and easily appealing appearences. They are described as cool, comfortable, pure, graceful, and minimalistic.
Miuccia Prada, who is entirely in charge of the companies creative decisions, says she bases her decisions mostly on intuition. She is reported to be overly fussy about each detail of her design. It can happen that each product has to be changed over and over in order to come closest to Miucci Prada's initial idea. Her husband Patrizio Bertelli is the business-man behind Miuccia Prada. He is responsible for the commercial side of the products and the retail strategy.
In 1994, total sales of Prada products were reported to be 270 billion Lira ($167 million). In 1996 total sales were 456 billion Lira ($296 million). This figure is expected to rise by 50% to 732 billion Lira in 1997 ($475 million). Europe accounts for 55% of total sales. The biggest export market is Japan accounting for 17% of total sales other Asian markets achieved 12%. The U.S. has contributed 16% to total sales. The sharpest rise in sales for 1997 is expected in the Asian markets, with a decreasing European share. Most of the revenue is schived with the Prada Donna line (78%), followed by the Prada Uomo line (15%). Miu Miu and Granello are expected to contribute significantly more in the future. In 1996, Prada had sales worth of 1150 billion Lira in retailing ($746 million). This figure is believed to rise by 60% in 1997.
The biggest share of sales is still achieved with leathergoods and shoes, but apparel sales are expected to grow.
Distribution Prada has 250 fully owned shops around the world. Prada wants to keep tight control on the retail activities, therefore it avoids franchise agreements and duty-free shops.
Production/ Licenses In addition to tight control over retailing, Prada seeks also to control the production of its products firmly. Production and distribution of Prada products is in the hands of the company "I Pelletrieri d'Italia", in Montevarchi, Italy which is run by Patrizio Bertelli, Miuccia Prada's husband. Licenses were avoided, until Prada decided in 1996 to enter the cosmetics market (which will be in stores by end of 1998). Underwear has recently been added to the Prada product range. Curiously, the Prada underwear will bear no label at all, not even the well-known Prada triangle. A new skiing clothes line will be added to the main collection in late 1997. and homewear in 1998.
Prada operates about 250 stores in 65 countries. Recent acquisitions brought the family-owned company UK shoemaker Church & Co., Genny and Jil Sander, among others, but the spree put Prada deep into debt. The company delayed a fourth attempt to go public in November 2004 and considered selling its Sander and Helmut Lang brands. Visit PRADA Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE
Prada: Spring 2009 RTW
Via Andrea Maffei, 2
20154 Milan, Italy
Tel (+02) 54 67 01 or
Via Melzi D'Eril, 30
20100 Milan, Italy
REINAD JEWELLERY: - see also CHANEL
For those not familiar with Reinad Jewellery, a short history may be in order. Research reveals that Reinad Novelty Co., Inc. of New York City was in business from 1922 til the mid-1950s. They produced few of their designs under their own name, but were for the most part a wholesale facility or jobber, producing jewellery for the many of the high end names you will recognize Boucher, Carnegie and Eisenberg ref: A Tribute to America Costume Jewellery 1935-1950 by the Carla & Roberto Brunialti page 28. In 1941, they brought out their own retail line of jewellery signed Chanel in script Chanel Novelty Co. some of the rarest, most beautiful, quality pieces of jewellery ever produced and of course, some of the most sought after by collectors. They were forced a year later to change the name to avoid confusion with jewellery by Coco Chanel, but still continued to design and produce some of eras finest quality pieces. Fred Rezazadeh in his book Costume Jewelry states If you see a piece of Reinad jewellery you like, try to buy it, for you will not get a second chance. Visit Reinad Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE
ROBERT DE MARIO: 1945 - 1965
Robert De Mario founded the company in New York City in 1945 after working for Miriam Haskell. De Mario jewelry is characterized by beautiful designs, excellent craftsmanship which often incorporates hand-sewn brass strung threads using faceted Austrian beads and rhinestones and flux pearls arranged in an array of harmonious colors, fashions and styles The jewelry is relatively rare and high prices are received in the collectible market. Mark: "De Mario with and without a copyright symbol" " , "Hagler for De Mario", and "Hagler/De Mario". De Mario retired and closed his shop in 1965. Visit Robert De Mario Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE
RICHELIEU JEWELLRY: Since 1911
Richelieu is name for Joseph H. Meyer Bros Co. A company known for working in costume jewellery since early 1900s. They often made jewellery incorporating pearls in to the many items of jewellery they produced. They did create all types of costume jewellery using rhinestone and almost all other material. Joseph H. Meyer & Bros, Brooklyn NY was founded in 1911 producing Richelieu costume jewelry for men and women specializing in designing jewelry using simulated creamy to colored pearls, small faux pearls, and rhinestones with spacers between the stones and with goldtone metal bases. Some of the pearl necklaces produced contained beautiful ornamental pearls and rhinestones on the clasp or as an added design feature on the necklace. Mark Traynor for Richelieu, Treza, Richelieu Satinore, Richelieu Indelle, Richelieu Pearls, Ingeborg-Sant Angelo for Richelieu 1967, RCHL with a 2 letter number. The newer costume jewelry made is said to be better designed than some of the older pieces. Lisner-Richelieu Corp. is still producing jewelry and it is now marked Richelieu. The Richelieu costume jewelry symbolizes the beautiful simulated look of real pearls of the highest quality with stylish designs using gold plating, silver plating and platinum as the base metal. The Richelieu costume jewelry is not highly collectible today but is gaining popularity because of its outstanding distinctive designs. Visit Richelieu Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE
The Sarah Coventry Story
It starts in 1852, when Charles W. Stuart arrived in Newark, New York, a small village on the Erie Canal between Rochester and Syracuse, N.Y. He purchased a small farm on the edge of the village and started selling the young fruit trees door to door. This resulted in the establishment of the C.W. Stuart Nursery.
Stuart established several other nursery firms to compete with each other, but used the same facilities. The names were Emmons Nursery, William C. Moore, Quaker Hill, and others. Newark was tagged as a nursery city as it was also the home of the Jackson & Perkins Co. soon to be known as the "World's Largest Rose growers." "C.W." Stuart died in 1923, but his son Charles H. "C.H." who had graduated from Cornell University had taken over years before, and had other interests, along with nursery products. A trained chemist, C.H. began experimenting with extracts and eventually marketed his extracts and tube flavorings, using a new term "direct selling".
A new office building was constructed in downtown Newark, and was called the Commercial Building, home to several direct selling companies under the C.H. Stuart umbrella. Sold were cosmetics, household goods, silverware, china, all directly to customer via commissioned sales people. The depression had a reverse effect; as people out of work would sign on to sell goods door to door, with little investment needed. Lyman K. Stuart, son of C.H., was in the business by the 1920s having also graduated from Cornell. In 1949, it was decided to market costume jewelry using a plan that had worked with china and silverware. It was the beginning of the party plan. The new company was named after Lyman K. Stuart's new granddaughter, Sarah Coventry Beale.
These names were not pulled out of a hat. The names Emmons was after C.W. Stuart's wife Caroline Emmons. That name was switched from nursery to jewelry and became a sister company to Sarah Coventry. The name Coventry was after Dr. John Coventry, Newark's last horse and buggy doctor, and grandfather of L.K. Stuart. Information supplied and given with kind permission from John - Rochester NY. Thank you John. Visit Sarah Coventry Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE
SCHIAPARELLI: Late 1920s - 1974
Elsa Schiaparelli was born in Rome, Italy in 1890. She moved to Paris in the 1920s where she opened her first couture fashion house. She left Paris in 1940 and opened her own fashion operation in New York City in 1949 and also opened a boutique offering ready-to-wear clothing, selling jewelry, perfume, cosmetics, lingerie, and swimsuits to complement her fashionable line of clothing. She licensed her name for mass production of costume jewelry and accessories made by David Lisner Co. which was also the authorized American agent and distributor for her earlier French-made pieces. In 1947, she created clothing in hot pink color, for before that time, black, brown and blue were the only popular and basic colors in women's clothing. Top designers for her establishment were Jean Schlumberg (designed the Circus collection), Serge Matta, Pierre Hubert Givenchy, Cecil Beaton, and Jean Clement. In 1949, the Ralph De Rosa Company produced Schiaparelli jewelry. Schiaparelli's earlier jewelry, was showy, imaginative, and bold with innovative designs but in her later years, the jewelry lacked the "off the wall" look of her earlier work. She is best known for her whimsical designs taking inspiration from nature, the circus themes, and the signs of the zodiac. Her jewelry designs also include Native African Art, and Jungle Primitives. She designed chunky suites with prong-set molded iridescent glass stones (called watermelon) and aurora borealis rhinestones (developed by Swarovski in 1955) or large faceted colored glass stones that were produced in the mid 1950s. The company used pot-metal, sterling silver and gold plated backings. Eliza retired in 1954 with the Schiaparelli line discontinued around 1955. She sold the rights to her name and business in 1973, therefore, American manufacturers continued producing her designs up to 1974. Lydo Coppola (married name Toppo), in Paris, designed pieces for Schiaparelli early in her career. Schiaparelli's early 1930s pieces were unsigned and are rarely ever seen today. In the late 1930s, jewelry pieces were signed "schiaparelli" in lower case block letters up until 1949 and "Schiaparelli" in script after 1949, and "Designed in Paris Created in America" 1949. Eliza died in Paris in 1973. Her jewelry is highly sought after and very collectible. Visit Schiaparelli Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE Photographs of Elsa Schiaparelli > > > Perfume Collection from Elsa Schiaparelli > > > Vintage Advertisements for of Elsa Schiaparelli > > > Other Interesting Accessories and Designs from Elsa Schiaparelli > > >
British company Sphinx made high quality jewelry. They made jewellery for many famous design houses, like Kenneth J. Lane, Saks Fifth Avenue, Butler & Wilson Neimans, and Bloomingdales and others. I understand and also heard Designer Henry Schreiner of Schreiner Jewellery Co which began in 1939 also designed for Sphinx. . Their jewelry is becoming more and more collectable today
More information on Sphinx Jewellery added 16 February 2010 - All thanks goes to a kind friend who passed this on to us.
Founded in 1948, The Sphinx Company was a renowned British jewelry manufacturing company that produced well made, quality constructed, and beautifully designed costume jewelry that had the look of real jewelry. In addition to their own line, they produced jewelry designs for many creatively talented artists like Kenneth Jay Lane, Butler & Wilson, Joe Mazer (Jomaz), Alfred Philippi, Nina Ricci, Caura, Fried Paris, as well as Saks 5th Ave., Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdales, Mark & Spencer and other high end department stores, in Europe as well as the United States. Mark: "SPHINX" in an oval cartouche with some having a "LETTER AND NUMBER" included or without the Sphinx name, having only a "LETTER AND NUMBER" in a cartouche. Unsigned pieces were either for customers who wanted to sell pieces as their own, because work was produced in a rush to meet demand or because there wasn't space on the design. Pieces may have either numbers only or a letter and numbers. These were design numbers. The jewelry is now becoming highly collectible since Sphinx ceased operations in the late 1990s. Visit Sphinx Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE
Swarovski is an Austrian company that makes high-quality rhinestones, beautiful cut crystals, costume jewellery, and other glass-related items. The company was founded by Daniel Swarovski (1862-1956), the son of a glass faceter. In 1892, Daniel developed a new mechanized technique for faceting glass crystals, creating a sparkling, diamond-like chaton." He then started a factory (and company) in Wattens, Austria (in the Tyrolean Alps) in 1895. In the 1970s, the company expanded to Providence, Rhode Island ,and then later moved to Cranston, Rhode Island. In 1955, Swarovski and Christian Dior developed the iridescent Aurora Borelais stone. The company began a line of rhinestone costume jewellery in 1977. Since 1988, the Swarovski logo has been a swan. Before this date the logo was an edelweiss flower Visit Swarovski Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE
Vincent Sorrento founded Vincent Sorrento Company in 1911. The Companys name was changed to Uncas Manufacturing Company before 1922. The costume jewellery produced used sterling silver and gold plated metals. The signature Mark is "Sorrento" since 1957. Early pieces are collectable and can be rare to find.
SWOBODA: 1956 - 1985, Re-established as N.W. Jewels by Nathan Waxman June 2000 - Present
Edward Swoboda, a talented jewelry designer, founded Swoboda Inc. in Los Angeles, CA in 1956 after having had an extensive knowledge of gemstones that were used in his manufacturing enterprise. The jewelry is characterized by magnificent thick gold plated metalwork, set with semi-precious stones and cultured pearls. Mr. Swoboda traveled extensively to South America where his gemstones were imported from. It was said that his polished gemstones and cultured pearls were unequaled in costume jewelry. The jewelry produced was designed with the Oriental and Victorian influences. In 1957, Nathan Nate Waxman joined the company as a trainee and quickly learned the art of casting, plating, and molding allowing him to create many of the designs. In the early 1960s, the Swoboda firm maintained showrooms in Los Angeles, New York, and Dallas and the jewelry was sold in leading department stores Dillard's, Goldwater's, Marshall Fields, Saks Fifth Ave., Bloomingdale's, Gumps, Ciros, Harrod's of London and Neiman Marcus. Swoboda jewelry lines consisted of complete sets, necklaces, brooches (most popular) and earrings. The jewelry was not marked but had a hang-tag "SWOBODA" until 1966 when "SWOBODA" OR "SWO.INC." appeared in the metal cast. Swoboda retired in 1979 and lives in Los Angeles. The jewelry is extremely rare, especially the more elaborate pieces that are highly prized by collectors who will pay nearly $800.00 per set and or above $400.00 for a necklace. Lower priced pieces consist of figural pins, some with carved jade or other semi-precious stones on gold plated metal. Nathan Waxman ran the company until 1985 when the company ceased operations. In June 2000, Nate Waxman established his own company, N.W. Jewels on an internet website that offers a wide variety and collection of Swoboda Costume Jewelry from vintage collections to limited quantity reissues. Visit Swoboda Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE
There is so much history to Trifari Jewellery. Trifari Jewellery was first known as Trifari and Trifari founded by Gustavo Trifari and his uncle in 1910. The company name changed to just Trifari after Gustavos uncle left. In 1917 Leo Krussman joined and then Carl Fishel in 1925. They renamed the Company Trifari, Krussman and Fishel which is where the hallmark KTF derived.
Early 1930 Alfred Philippe joined as head designer, he is considered a top craftsman who worked in fi ne jewellery for Cartier and Van Cleef and Arples. His designs became very popular especially the well known designs known as fruit salad jewellery. The company was run 1910 to 1975 by the originating founders and sons of those founders. In 1975 Trifari was purchased by several other companies, there is so much rich history to Trifari that it is far too much information to put here, we will eventually dedicate a full page to give a lot more history. Early Trifari Jewellery is very collectable and some pieces are now very rare to find. Visit Trifari Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE For More History on Trifari.....PRESS HERE
LOUIS COMFORT TIFFANY: 1848-1933
Quoted from Louis Tiffany "I once lived in a small town in the United States, which was surrounded by forestland and several lakes. Whenever I drove through the area, I always found the sunlight reflecting off the surface of the lakes and the cool shade underneath the trees to be particularly uplifting. But even that paled when compared to the stunning night landscapes." To read more and to see if we have any items for sale please click here....
Under the umbrella of Ivana Haute Couture come 'lifestyle products' such as scents Ivana, Elegance by Ivana, Ivanka by Ivana, Ivana Pink Champagne, and Ivana for Men, Ivana make-up and, of course, the Ivana costume jewellery. 'People love the products; everyone from the 18 year old girl to the 80 year old grandma love it,' boasts Ivana, who, like her ex, comes across as both relentlessly self-promoting and curiously big-hearted in person. Visit Ivana Trump Costume jewellery to see if we have any items for sale. Please click here....
VAN CLEEF & ARPELS
Founded in 1906 by Alfred Van Cleef and his brothers-in-law Charles and Julien Arpels on the Place Vendome in Paris, Van Cleef & Arpels is one of the worlds most prestigious and innovative jewellers. They are renowned for their creative designs and techniques, using only the highest quality gemstones, such as the Mystery Setting also known as Invisible Setting, in which the prongs are hidden underneath a gemstone. The House has always given form to these recurring motifs through inventive, very complex and continuously evolving techniques. The Van Cleef & Arpels touch asymmetry for a sense of life and movement, metamorphosis as a guiding principle in transformable jewellery, and a mingling of the transparent and the opaque. Van Cleef & Arpels immediate success prompted the founders to expand to important seaside resorts in France as well as abroad. New York City became their first location in the United States in 1939. Maria Callas, Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn, Jackie Onassis, the Maharani of Baroda, the Royal family of Egypt, the Shah of Iran, to name just a few, were all devoted clients of the firm and regularly wore their most astonishing creations. Today, the radiant glamour of Julia Roberts, Kristin Scott Thomas, Sharon Stone, Zhang Ziyi and Uma Thurman is lit up by the jeweller. With 49 boutiques all over the world, the firm is still regarded as one of the foremost contemporary jewellers, maintaining the tradition of excellent craftsmanship and original designs.
VARGAS 1945 - 1980
The Vargas Manufacturing Company was founded in Providence, RI in 1945 and produced ornamental costume jewelry, prong set with clear and colored rhinestones, faux pearls and simulated colored glass stones (ruby, sapphire and opal) on sterling silver, 10k gold filled, gold plated and silver plated base metals. Many pieces designs (bracelets in particular) had 3-dimensional detailed surfaces layered with huge repousse scrolled leaves and textured berries set on an antique finish of silvertone and goldtone metal with smooth and shining surfaces on the interior of the jewelry pieces. The bracelets, at least 1.5 inches wide, opened wide, were hinged and came with a safety chain for added security. Many of the jewelry designs were identical to those made by Whiting & Davis also located in Providence, RI, (sharing designs - the practice between competing costume jewelry houses was not uncommon in the 1940s and 1950s), and competition was prevalent in those days. Mark "V in an elongated diamond shape" since 1945, "VARGAS" ornamental jewelry since June 1945, "Vargas 10K GF", "Cradle Craft" in script on childrens jewelry, pendants, necklaces, pins, bracelets and finger rings in Sept. 1946, " a large V partly inside and outside a triangle" particularly on ornamental jewelry for children since Jam. 15, 1947, "Lucky Elephant" in 1960 and "Brazilia" in 1971, "Grandee" in 1971, "Bennard" in 1969. It is assumed that the company ceased operations in 1980
VOGUE: 1915 - 1975
Vogue jewellery was first produced by Park Importing Co.NYC, about 1915. The firm specialized in simulated pearls and beads jewellery. The Vogue jewellery found on the market today was manufactured in the late 1930's to early 1970's by Harold Shapiro, and his two partners, Jack Gilbert and George Grant. Shapiro left the company in 1961 and his son, Bernard, founded Les Bernard, Inc. in 1963. Vogue jewellery is said to be beautiful, demonstrating originality and innovation of designs. Jewellery pieces produced in the early 1930s to 1940s are hard to find and sought after by collectors. Mark "VOGUE". The Vogue company ceased operations in early 1975. Visit Vogue Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE
Weiss jewellery was a 1940s company and discontinued business about 1971, they were a much under rated name in the costume jewellery business but some of their jewellery was purchased from Hollywood Jewellery Co and Weiss applied their signature to it. Located in New York, NY. they created a low end line and high end line of costume jewellery and also made some high quality collectible items. Their out put was no where near Trifari and Coro but they did maintain a very good line of jewellery. The first mark used was "WEISS" in block print, later came the mark of "Weiss" in script and "Albert Weiss" or A W Co. with the W looking some what like a crown. The later mark was introduced sometime in 1951 and used by the president of the company, Albert Weiss. Visit Weiss Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE
WIESNER JOSEPH 1953
The Wiesner Company was founded by Joseph Wiesner NY in 1953 producing quality workmanship in elegant designs in the 50s, sparkling clear and brilliant coloured rhinestones prong set in goldtone metal. Known for their quality boxed sets and elegant designs, compacts and accessories. Mark: "Joseph Wiesner NY". There is another company called Wiesner of Miami. Visit a Jospeh Wiesner Jewellery to see if we have any items for sale....Press here
WHITING DAVIS AND CO
Whiting Davis Co. started out making mesh chains and mesh purses in the last part of the 1800s and expanded into a very high quality costume jewellery line. Transfers on porcelain and early cameo type jewellery was one of their favourite lines. They created some of the most impressive line of iridescent glass jewellery. Perhaps they were best known in the jewellery industry for their output and production of some very fine Costume Jewellery produced in the 1950s copying many fine museum pieces. They still produce mesh purses and some accessories but have discontinued the jewellery line and their earlier jewellery will become even more collectible. Visit Whiting Davis and Co Jewelry to see if we have any for Sale.....PRESS HERE
YVES SAINT LAURENT: 1960 - Present
Yves Saint Laurent, a designer, was born in Algeria in 1936 and worked for the House of Dior in 1954. When Christian Dior died in 1957, Saint Laurent managed one of the Dior establishments but in 1961, opened his own fashion house in Paris and, later, in 1966, opened a boutique in the U.S. Monet produced some of his jewelry. Mark: "Yves Saint Laurent". Visit Yves Saint Laurent to see if we have any items for sale....Press here
Antique and Vintage Jewellery
Famous Master Craftsman Designers